What the Deuce: (San) Loco Taqueria

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

(San) Loco Taqueria

I'm always on the lookout for good affordable places to eat in Miami. It's hard enough to find such places and adding the adjective "ethic" to the prior sentence makes my search even more difficult. Luckily, last Friday I ate at a place that was ethnic, affordable, and most importantly good - Loco Taqueria.

Name: Loco Taqueria
Location: 235 14th Street, Miami Beach 33139 (between Collins and Washington, across from Bar Deuce)
Food: Mexican
Website: www.san-loco.com

Loco Taqueria (former San Loco Taqueria) is definitely a hole in the wall. So small that the Editor and I almost walked past it. The only reason we found it was because of Anthony Bourdain (of No Reservations fame). Just like he said in the Miami episode of his show that details his culinary journeys, Loco Tacqueria is located right across the street from Bar Deuce. No fancy ambiance. You walk into a single room with functional tables and chairs and an ATM. Few decorations on the wall but nothing sexy. Upon seeing the place, I had a good feeling about the food.


Fiesta! Fiesta! Loco has an menu with just the right amount of options. In additional to standard Mexican fare like tacos, burritos, nachos (available in beef, chicken, beans and rice, or fish), Loco also has salads, taco burgers , and breakfast burritos. Oh yeah, I almost forgot - the signature item is the Stupid Sauce. No item is over ten bucks making the place affordable to almost anyone living on the beach.

Aye Chihuahua! I had been contemplating what to order all day but when the time came, I went with the Burrito Loco (beef) with Stupid Sauce. The Editor opted for the fish taco (soft shell). We each ordered a Pacifica and shared a side of guacamole. Both items were excellent. The fish was battered and gently fried and came with cheese, lettuce, and tomato. The guacamole on the side added a little something to the taco, but the taco could have also stood alone just fine. As far as the burrito goes, I can easily say it was the best burrito I've had in Miami. It reminded me of the burritos I drunkenly ate in LA a few years back but was better. Topped with chili, the burrito was both filling and tasty. The Stupid Sauce was perfect. Initially, it didn't feel so spicy but by the time I was finished my tongue was on fire and, had I been a cartoon, smoke would have been coming out of my ears. The Editor opted for the medium hot sauce and found it sufficiently spicy. I'd recommend the Stupid Sauce if your stomach can handle it.

Adios! No, no adios. We'll definitely be back.

1 Comments:

Blogger Life In 1-1-8 said...

New blog website is http://wordlifeblog.blogspot.com. Mark the change

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home